God bless us, every one!
– Charles Dickens, A Christmas Carol
As our first taste of winter weather descends upon the TASIS campus, I could not be more proud of our TASIS community. Our students and teachers have returned from the enriching trips of Academic Travel, and they continue their work and growth in the timeless arenas of Truth, Goodness, and Beauty. Congratulations to all of the students who made the academic honor rolls and who made the Dean's List—your contributions to the classroom and community make TASIS a better place. This weekend our students will explore the question, "What makes a good life?" by performing the high school play, A Christmas Carol, and as the fall athletics season concludes, our students demonstrate their valor and sportsmanship in various competitions at home and around Europe. With smoothie sales and our upcoming Holiday Market, TASIS parents continue to enhance our wonderful community. Also, in a very short time, our students will help us celebrate the spirit of Christmas with our upcoming All-School Christmas Service. Thank you to everyone, and here is to a wonderful Holiday Season ahead of us!
– Headmaster Christopher Nikoloff
|Friday–Sunday, November 15–17||HS Fall Play: A Christmas Carol (reserve seats)|
|Saturday, November 23||Yoga Marathon • 9:00–16:30, Palestra Dance Studio (register)|
|Tuesday, November 26||Sweet November Dance Company performance • 18:30, Palmer Center (register)|
|Friday, November 29||Thanksgiving Holiday (no classes)|
|Friday, December 6||TPA Holiday Market and Christmas Tree Lighting Ceremony • 16:30|
|Saturday, December 7||MS Christmas Celebration for students and faculty|
|Sunday, December 8||All-School Christmas Service • 15:15, San Nicolao della Flüe, Lugano-Besso|
|Wednesday, December 18||Last day of classes before Winter Holiday|
|Thursday, December 19||Dormitories close at 16:00|
|Please refer to tasis.ch/calendar for a more detailed look at upcoming events.|
Last Chance to Reserve Seats for A Christmas Carol!
Join us in the Palmer Center this weekend as we kick off the winter holiday season with the theatrical production of Charles Dickens's world-famous A Christmas Carol. The TASIS production stays faithful to Dickens's tale, in which mean-spirited Ebenezer Scrooge is visited by three spirits who take him backwards, forwards, and sideways in time to try to teach him the values of compassion and empathy.
Director Valerie Bijur Carlson and Assistant Director Matthew Frazier-Smith have put together a tremendous cast and crew that not only feature High School thespians in acting, design, tech, and stage management roles but also include several young actors from the Middle and Elementary Schools. Learn more on the TASIS Blog.
A Christmas Carol will premiere in the Palmer Center on Friday at 19:30 and will also be performed Saturday at 19:30 and Sunday at 14:30. Reserve your seats before it's too late!
EAL Film Program
All of Ms. Guarnieri Rosso’s students in the Introduction to MS Academic English class are required to follow this program outside of regular academic hours. This project has been designed to provide students the opportunity to learn English through the analysis of film while being guided by expert faculty.
The first film session will be held today, November 15, from 15:30–17:30 and tomorrow, November 16, from 10:00–12:00 in Alba Lower. The students will be watching A Christmas Carol.
Assemblies and Advisor Meetings this Week
During Wednesday’s assembly, High School Theater Director Ms. Valerie Bijur Carlson discussed A Christmas Carol, and on Thursday afternoon MS students watched the final dress rehearsal.
MS Fall Midterm Dean's List
The Fall Midterm Dean's List has been posted in Belvedere. Congratulations to the MS students on the list! Being on the Dean's List comes with the privilege of going to Sara Li's or the Snack Bar on Wednesdays after lunch.
Winter Term After-School Sports and Activities
The Winter Term begins on Monday, November 18. Please see the meeting points and other details below. Placements are posted on the bulletin board in Belvedere. If you have any questions regarding the After-School Program, please contact After-School Activities Assistant Coordinator Mr. Mendes.
- MS Boys Basketball: Mondays & Wednesdays, 16:00-17:30. Starts on Monday, November 18. Meeting point: Basketball Field (in front of Campo Science). Coaches: Mr. Volpi & Mr. Angelitti.
- MS Girls Basketball: Mondays & Wednesdays, 16:00-17:30. Starts on Monday, November 18. Meeting point: Basketball Field (in front of Campo Science). Coaches: Mr. Zanecchia & Mr. Morton.
- MS Futsal (Indoor soccer): Fridays, 16:00-17:30. Starts on Friday, November 23. Meeting point: Palestra. Coach: Mr. Morton.
- Glass Painting: Tuesdays, 16:00-17:30. Starts on Tuesday, November 19. Meeting point: Entrance of Art building. Instructor: Ms. Brown.
- MS Dance: Wednesdays, 16:00-17:00. Starts on Wednesday, November 20. Meeting point: Dance Studio. Instructor: Ms. Frazier-Smith.
- Choir: Tuesdays, 16:00-17:30. This activity is a year-round commitment. Students already participating in Choir are required to remain in this activity. New students can sign up at the beginning of the winter term. Meeting point on November 19: Coach House 2, Music Room. Instructor: Ms. Rubb.
- Ski and Snowboard Club (extra cost of CHF 525): Click on this link for details. Dates for our Sunday outings are January 12, January 19, February 9, and February 16. Coaches: Ms. Breton and Mr. Alava. (Note that only two more spaces are available for this club.)
- MS Musical: Rehearsals on Thursdays from 16:00-18:00 from January 9–February 20 and on Tuesdays and Thursdays from March 3–May 14. Audition on Tuesday, December 3, from 16:00-18:00 in Palmer Center. Performances will be May 15-17. Musical director: Mr. Frazier-Smith.
- Ensemble: Thursdays 16:00 to 17:30. Starts on Thursday, November 21. Meeting point: Coach House 2, MS music room at 16:00. Instructor: Ms. Rubb.
- The Fall Term Theater activity will continue until the performance on Thursday, December 12.
- MS Robotics will continue until February 18.
NOTE: Students will change into their sports clothes, if required, after meeting the activity leaders.
MS Parent Coffees
This week’s MS Parent Coffee was led by MS Tech Coordinator Ms. Amy Bloodworth and was dedicated to Technology and Digital Citizenship. After we reviewed our assembly on digital footprints, Ms. Bloodworth discussed what parents need to know to support their children in developing a positive digital footprint. Some tips were provided on setting expectations, rules, and consequences at home. Ms. Bloodworth’s full presentation can be viewed here.
Upcoming MS Parent Coffees:
- Wednesday, November 27: 8:30–9:30, Casa Fleming
- Topic: Setting and Achieving Goals for Middle School, with Learning Resource Director (LRC) Director Dr. Andrew Rhein. Dr. Rhein will talk about his background, how that relates to goal setting, and what services TASIS offers in the Learning Resource Center. He will discuss the range of issues that we typically see in Middle School students and what parents can do if they have any concerns about how their son or daughter is progressing in school.
- Wednesday, December 4: 8:30–9:30, Casa Fleming
- Topic: MS Transitions and Changes, with School Counselor Ms. Mary Cate Hauenstein
TPA Art Tour in Milan on Wednesday
TPA member Giuliana Montrasio has generously offered to lead TASIS parents on an art tour in Milan on Wednesday, November 20. The day will include guided tours of Barbara Probst’s exhibition and Gallerist Monica De Cardenans’s private collection, lunch at Eataly, a visit to artist Roberta Savelli’s studio, and shopping in Corso Como. Specific details can be found on the poster below.
Yoga Marathon on November 23
There is still time to register for the second annual TASIS Yoga Marathon, which will take place on Saturday, November 23, from 9:00–16:30. This community-building event will include five yoga sessions—each featuring a different style of yoga with a first-rate instructor—and a raffle with a number of exciting prizes. All proceeds will go toward Serving Southern Africa, an Opsahl Global Service Program group that spends two weeks in Zambia each June.
To register and see the full schedule of events for this year’s Yoga Marathon, visit tasis.ch/yogamarathon.
TPA Thanksgiving & Toasts: Save the Date
The TPA invites all families and faculty members to join us for a beautiful aperi-dinner at the Villa Principe Leopoldo on Monday, November 25, from 18:00–20:00. Let’s share our gratitude together over a touch of “American” Thanksgiving. More details and registration information will be sent via email next week.
SNDC Performance on November 26
Save the Date: TPA Holiday Market on December 6
You will not want to miss this year’s TPA Holiday Market, complete with a Santa’s Village that all children are sure to love! (Invite your friends!) The TPA is hard at work organizing this annual community-building event, which will be held on the afternoon and evening of Friday, December 6. More details will be shared in next week’s bulletin.
MS Christmas Celebration on December 7
On Saturday, December 7, the MS will hold its annual Christmas Celebration for students and faculty from 18:30–21:30. A formal dinner will start at 18:30 and be followed by a celebration with games and dancing. Students who participate may not arrive later than 18:30 or leave earlier than 21:30.
Student Council is taking an active part in the organization of the dinner, and the Event Planners are busy planning games and amazing activities for the celebration. The students have received the invitation this week and the confirmation is necessary. We hope that all students join the MS Christmas Festivities.
Formal dress requirements for the dinner in De Nobili (18:30–19:45):
- Dress (dress-code length—not more than one hand above the knee)
- NO low-cut dresses
- Or skirt (dress-code length—not more than one hand above the knee)
- Or pants (NO jeans)
- Dressy top or Pashmina (shoulders must be covered)
- Shoes: high-heel shoes may not be higher than 2 centimeters
- Pants (NO jeans)
- Dress shoes
- Boys may wear the TASIS suit
Games and Dance in the Palestra (19:45–21:30)
- NO heels higher than 2 centimeters
- Sneakers are acceptable.
All-School Christmas Service on December 8
The annual All-School Christmas Service will be held at the church of San Nicolao della Flüe at 15:15 on the afternoon of Sunday, December 8. Details regarding the rehearsal schedule on Wednesday, December 4, and plans for the service itself can be found in last week’s bulletin.